Monday 22 July 2013

My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton


Published: If it is going to be self-published it will be released in 2013, if it is going to be traditionally published it could be released in 2014.
Pages: 355
Source: I received an eARC as part of being on KC Hilton's street team for this book

SYNOPSIS

My tale has been told again and again, and I’ve heard each one. Except for my hair, I barely recognize the pitiful renditions. Muddled versions, crafted to entertain laughing children…but the children wouldn’t have laughed if they’d known the real story. It wasn't their fault. They didn't know the truth. Nobody did.

My name is Rapunzel and I will tell you my story. I will tell you the truth.

MY REVIEW

I will admit, I have not read the original, so this review is going to be based soley on KC's version. This story was fantastic in my opinion! I loved the writing, the characters, the setting, everything about it. I really enjoy fairytale retellings, and based on the basic parts of the original that I do know about, I think that this one is great.

It is told over a wide spread of time, from when the curse was first placed on her, to a present day setting, most of it being in the castle. One of my favourite parts of this book was the letters that Rapunzel writes back and forth with a reporter at a newspaper trying to prove that she is real, and he does not believe her, we learn a lot about her history this way. Also I think it was great the way that KC was able to write in how the castle got upgrades along the way to become more modern, like flushing toilets, and showers, and the heating system rather than just using fire places, this is really something that I would not have really thought about, but she did, and it makes sense because anyone that did come to the castle (which was really no one to try and keep their secret as to why Rapunzel never aged) would think it was extremely strange as to why they would not have these modern luxuries. 

There are a lot of things that we don't learn until the end, and when it was all revealed, it all made sense for a lot of the events that happened in the past, and it was perfect. As far as the love interest, there was always something through the whole book that made me wonder what happened to her true love from the beginning, like it was too easy if he just died, and then there were more events that came in to play later that had me forgetting about him, so maybe it was true. 

There was also something about the witch that had me guessing what her motivation was for doing this, she didn't really seem to be gaining anything from it, they just both lived in the castle, and Rapunzel did not like her at all, so what was the point? Also the dragon, I didn't understand him, he seemed to have a major dislike for the witch and Rapunzel, so why did he chose to stick around? This is all explained at the end, and it all makes sense, and is not what I was expecting, and I loved it!

I cannot explain how much I am excited for this book, and I am completely torn as to how I want it published because on one hand if it is self-published, it would come out earlier and I can get my hands on a physical copy, but then on the other hand, if it is traditionally published, it would reach a greater audience, but it would take longer to come out, but I think everyone should read this. All I can say is once it is out, get your hands on a copy as soon as possible, you will not regret it! Absolute 5/5!

1 comment:

  1. This is a vibrant new take on the story of Rapunzel. The characterization was great and it held my interest despite guessing a part. This only added to my enjoyment as I wondered when this would become clear to the main character. Nice twist in the ending I would never have guessed. Loved it. This was my xmas treat to me and it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete